Re: LPFM

At 07:12 AM 1/21/00 -0500, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>I don't believe that the FM band can accommodate many more stations in
>places where anyone is around to listen, but the FCC lacks the budget, and
>therefore the personnel,  to do anything that even remotely resembles the
>enforcement job that it should be doinmg today. Add hundreds or thousands of
>additional LPFMs and the situation will become many, many times worse. In
>this age of Internet radio, screwing up existing services to provide an
>outlet for people who are primarily hobbyists is completely unjustifiable.

I'm glad there's someone besides myself that can see this.  I had a, er,
rather spirited discussion with a friend about this recently.  He (and
apparently a bunch of other radio wannabees) is so caught up in the
"corporate plastic radio" thing that they can't see the forest for the
trees.  I wonder how many of these LPFM's are gonna be around when they get
their first ASCAP or BMI bill?