RE: Altering Live TV Pictures

<<On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:59:11 -0500, "Mike Fitzpatrick" <fitzradio@map.com> said:

> how do they do that? Ive been trying to figure out how this is done.

[We're talking about the illuminated first-down line on some televised
football games.]

Using some very expensive computer hardware, and position-sensing
equipment attached to each camera.  There's a company which
specializes in hacking live video like this.  Typically, they will
sell exclusive rights to their latest ``innovation'' to a broadcaster
for a few years, and if it proves popular, they then sell it to
others.  Murdoch likes these sorts of gimmicks, which is why Fox
bought both the obnoxious glowing puck (now retired) and the
first-down line.

-GAWollman