Re: WTAG coverage of Fire

I don't think this situation has anything to do with syndicated programming.
The issue is the judgment and authority of local management.  WGAN in
Portland runs Dr. Laura, Rush, and Howie Carr, but is quick to interrupt
programming for local news coverage.  They do it on a regular basis for
winter storms.  (Too much for my taste.  Including lengthy lists of event
cancellations and business closings.)  When I worked there, the News Director
had a pager and numbers for all news personnel were posted in all the studios
in the building with instructions on who to call if there was a big local
story.  I'm not sure what would happen on a Friday evening, but I would
expect any news person worth their salt would come to work as soon as they
heard about a big story like the fire in Worcester.  Its not just duty, but
the chance to feed reports to the network can earn you a little extra money
and some good material for your audition tape.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

In a message dated 12/12/99 11:36:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,