Re: while in Portland....

In a message dated 12/7/99 1:45:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net writes:

<< If I had my druthers, I'd like a station promising a
 no-repeat month.  There's enough music I truly like to
 easily fill 31 days and much, much more.  Perhaps I'm
 just too gosh-darn easy to please. >>

having been in oldies/oldies-based a/c formats for most of my radio career,
it's nice to see others echo the sentiments of those of us who play the songs
on the radio.  i keep trying to tell programmers/bosses/consultants that the
40-something of today (the ideal target listener of an oldies/oldies-based
a/c) is very much aware of all of the music product that is available.  as a
forty-one year old, i am very insulted by the fact that "i" do not get to
decide what i like and don't like on the radio.  that decision has been made
by a roomful of people listening to ten seconds of  (not all) the songs we
might like to hear on the radio... then, of course, passed onto the focus
groups.  our industry has become so formulaic that the old standby-format
("if its round and has a hole in the middle of it") would probably pull a
twelve share.
   btw:  Pretty Ballerina is a great song!  but Dick Bartley is syndicated,
and as such, they may be "tighter" on what they play, but have the ability to
throw the spotlight on the tasty ones now and again.

- -Chuck Igo