Re: Dis Radio 1560 is weak

>John Bolduc wrote:
>I starting noticing about three or so weeks ago the radio Disney 1560 AM New
>York New York is coming in quite poorly after sunset and up to about 9PM.
>A station (a new logging for me) IIRC in Eastern VA that parallels an nearby FM
>station has been overpowering the 1560 Dis channel.
>
>Is 1560 NY cutting back on power, or have they stopped feeding the mouse five
>times a day?

        Here, about 80 miles NE of Central Park, I've been having trouble
with WQXR lately at night, also. I don't think it's anything about WQXR's
signal, as it sounds the same as usual here in the daytime. When this
happens, I always think it's the idiots in Coral Gables running their 44kW
day power instead of their 4 or so kW night power. They still go through
periods of doing that, apparently. The current interference is that wavy
sound of skywave interference but the audio of the interfering station is
either inaudible or only slightly audible. I'm so close to NY I usually
can't hear the interfering station well enough to ID it, although sometimes
when it's Florida it gets so bad that I can.
        Are you referring to WSBV, South Boston, Va., supposed to be 2.5 kW
day, 250 w CH and then off? It's the only Va. station on 1560. The 1997 NRC
AM Log gives their format as religion and their phone number as 804
572-4418. It doesn't list any FM station as parallel, but that was then.
There's also WKIK, 1 kW D, 250w CH, on 1560, format AC, La Plata, Md., 301
870-5550, near the Va. border south of D.C., which is listed as paralleling
"star" 98.3 FM. That's WSMD-FM, Mechanicsville Md.
        Also, even if the interference seems to stop later in the evening,
you have to consider that WQXR's signal increases somewhat toward the NE at
night. But they don't change pattern until SS at Bakersfield. I figure
that's either 1945 or 2000 EST this month.

Have you patronized the skywave signal of an AM Class A station today?