Re: Carl DeSuze

At 10:27 AM 11/9/99 -0500, Martin J. Waters wrote:
>They seemed to have two rules: No
>yackety yackety without music underneath coming up to the hour and they
>treated the hourly tone and starting the news on time as sacred as the BBC
>and the Big Ben chimes. There was no such thing as running through the
>tone.

Some jocks were better at backtiming than others, aside from Carl, Dave
Maynard was notorious for loose backtiming.  OTOH, Bruce Bradley & Dick
Summer were always dead on.  I think the news was simulcast on both the AM
& FM, and the FM would then split away for whatever they did on FM (I think
it was a full simulcast 6a-noon-but I don't know what 'BZ-FM did the rest
of the time before they became Rockin' Stereo 106.7 in the earlyish 70s).
Maybe there was a timer controlling the switchover which necessitated the
tight timing.  From what I understand, no one there really cared about the
FM anyway.