Re: WAAF (was Re: WUMB/WMWM )

20 kW ND at 239' HAAT is the current licensed facility.
9.6 kW DA at 335' HAAT from a site 9 miles east of Mt
Asnebumskit is the proposed facility--as far as I know,
still an application, not yet a CP.

Frankly, I don't get the application. Yes, the site is
nine miles closer to Boston, but the entire increase in
HAAT is the result of the land being lower as you move
east. The height AMSL is essentially the same at both
sites. Although I'm no expert on FM propagation, it
appears to me that the signal in Boston will not improve
much. This seems especially true because the signal to
the southeast would be deeply nulled--at least the null
is a deep one for FM: a minimum field strength
equivalent to 10% of the power over at least 180 degrees
centered on the northwest.

What station or stations would this deep null protect,
anyhow? Why does a move of nine miles to the east
necessitate dropping the ERP to the southeast to 10% of
the current value?

Due east or a bit south of due east--that is, toward the
City of Boston--the field strength is equivalent to only
about 1/4 of the power to the northwest. And the move to
the east would cause a very noticeable drop in signal
strength in Springfield and other communities in the
Connecticut Valley.

I had been told that the proposed site was on the
Channel 66 tower. But isn't Channel 66 in Hudson?
According to the map at the Kodis Web site, WAAF's
proposed site is between Northborough and Worcester--
almost as far from Hudson as from the current Mt
Asnebumskit site.

I guess I should never be surprised by the dumb moves
that the Entercom folks make. I suppose their areas of
expertise transcend programming and extend into the
technical side of radio. Maybe the bottom-line pressure
will keep this move from taking place. I suspect that
that might be the best thing to happen to WAAF since the
departure of Opie and Anthony.