WUMB/WMWM

I don't think I've seen this discussed here, so here goes:

How is it that WMWM (91.7) and WUMB  (91.9) are allowed to be on
adjacent channels? 'MWM makes hash of 'UMB on all but the best car
radios in Swampscott, and on below-average radios along the Lynnway in
Lynn. Doesn't 'UMB deserve some protection only 12 miles or so north of
Boston, or are all bets off because (a) 'MWM was there first (not sure
if that's true) or (b) different rules apply on the noncommercial
portion of the FM band?

Sorry if this is a newbie-type question. It's just been bugging me for
years -- seems every time I'm on the North Shore enjoying folk on 'UMB,
here comes 'MWM's rap show to spoil my afternoon.

Howard