Re: 1060/1200

The towers are 440' high--198--degrees and are umbrella (guy-wire)
top-loaded to an electrical height of 225 degrees. I think the engineers
have to have considered using the tall towers as part of the proposed
50-kW-U arrays. Here are the problems: Canadian Class Bs receive
daytime-skywave protection from US Class B's. The Ottawa station (CFGO?)
would have to be protected from daytime skywave. From what I can tell,
there's no way to do that in an array that uses the tall towers. WKOX could
run 50 kW DA from the tall towers during noncritical daytime hours, however.
Contrary to what you said, the proposed 50-kW day pattern puts a somewhat
smaller signal to the north, west, and south than does the current 10
kW-ND-D operation. The daytime signal behind the proposed array must be
based on not increasing the cricitcal-hours skywave toward Ottawa. For the
reason I'm about to describe, I doubt that the engineers felt it would be
worth the cost to install separate D and CH patterns. The second problem
appears to be WLIB, which must put a 0.25 mV/m daytime signal onto the coast
in southern Rhode Island. Without a waiver, WKOX has to protect that
contour. I think the best facilities for 1200 would be diplexed with 1510
and running 50 kW DA-2. Regardless of the COL (Watertown?, Belmont?,
Arlington?), 1200 would become a true Boston signal and would be quite a
valuable property. I would think WKOX, so upgraded, would be worth about $12
million. Of course, the new owners (who apparently have not yet taken
posession) may have agreed to pay more than that.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax:1-707-215-6367