Re: 103.7/Berlin

In a message dated 10/18/99 1:02:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
nostatic@earthlink.net writes:

<< Back when they were in Berlin, they were still live 24/7.  At that point,
the
 station was an adult skewing CHR.  Not too long after the move to North
Conway,
 the ownership flipped the format back to Hot AC, blew out most of the staff,
 and
 started experimenting with automation in some dayparts, but I have no idea
what
 they were using.  The station was never the same after that, and it wasn't
too
 long before they sold out to Fuller Jeffery. >>

During my tenure as PD, at the then WZPK, from '93 into early '94, we were
totally live, playing CDs from Denon CD cart machines. There was NO
automation during my time there. I was told the station signed on with the
UDS "Ultimate Digital Studio" from TM Century, complete with Pioneer CD
jukeboxes. However the system was so problematic that it was scrapped and the
Denons came soon after.

As an interesting side note, the studios in North Conway, across from the
train station, were built by then GM, Jack O'Brien and his Dad. The North
Conway Chamber of Commerce was a floor below us and would complain about the
noise from the studio at least three times a day.

Rob Walker
Program Director
KLAL/Little Rock