Fw: NERW 10/1/99--1060, 650

Peter: The attached message from Scott tells most of the
WGTR|WSTD|WTTP|WBIV|WJLT|WMEX story. (Those are all calls used by 1060 in
Natick since it went on the air for the first time in 1972.) Scott erred,
however, when he called the present facilities 250W ND-D; they are 500W
ND-D, which from WKOX's tall sticks give the same RMS field as did 1 kW into
the original 140' tower on Kendall Ave in S Natick.

In any event, when WGTR first signed on it held--and very effectively
used--a PSRA for 1.6W into the short tower. Since the only other station
licensed to Natick-Framingham was WKOX, which was then on 1190 with 1 kW-D
and no PSRA, one of WGTR's original slogans during the winter of 1972-73 was
"WGTR, ON radio 1060, first on--every morning at 6:00."

In early fall of 1981, as I recall, WGTR put its full-time plant on the air.
The CP for full-time specified 25 kW-D/2.5 kW-N DA-2 from five 207-degree
sticks, in-line on a 90-degree azimuth, and spaced 100 degrees apart, at the
Sewell St, Ashland, site. The ground system consisted of 240 0.4-wavelenth
radials per tower. Because of protests from KYW (and probably also WBZ),
except maybe for a couple of weeks, the station was never allowed to operate
with more than about half power day or night. A license to cover was never
granted. Today, the array serves WBPS, which is licensed to Dedham and uses
25 kW-D/3.4 kW-N. It is also the proposed site of WRPT's 2 kW DA-D
operation. When John H Garabedian had that array designed, he pulled out all
of the stops, and very presciently had the towers arranged on a due
east-west line--perhaps in anticipation of the final breakdown of the Class
IA channels. Because of the engineering decisions that were made, the array
is well suited to both WBPS and WRPT.

Currrently, the PSRA for 1060's ND-D operation from WKOX's Mt Wayte Ave site
is for 3.3W. I believe the that higher power (vs the original 1.6W from
Kendall Ave) results from the tall stick's lower ratio of high-angle to
groundwave radiation. So by going from a minimum height tower to a half-wave
tower, the ratio of day to night power was increased from 625:1 to 167:1. In
other words, the pre-sunrise field increased from 1/25 of the day field to
about 1/13. BTW, under the new rules, the Natick station also operates post
sunset with low power--from local sunset in Natick to local sunset in
Philadelphia. Natick is outside of KYW's protected 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave
contour, so the station could operate full-time, with very low night power.
Since returning to ND operation, it has never done so, however. My estimate
of the night power the station might be authorized using its proposed
two-tower CH array is 131.7W. I obtained this number by dividing 167 into
the proposed 22-kW CH power. I presume that such low power would have no
impact on the "operation" of the long defunct, but still notified CJRP.