Re: WSRO

>Dan Strassberg wrote:
<snip>
>WRPT will probably have to continue as a daytimer. (Actual hours are 6:00 AM
>until two hours past local sunset. The extended post-sunset hours are
>possible because WRPT is east of WSM, the dominant Class A on 650, and is
>outside of WSM's protected skywave contour.) There are unbuilt AM 650s all
>over eastern Canada. Even though these stations will never be built, they
>are "notified" to the U.S. and must be protected. The most troublesome one
>for WRPT is in Frederickton NB, which is only about 20 degrees north of due
>east of us. Were WRPT to operate at night, it would clearly interfere with
>that allocation. If the Frederickton 650 CP existed before the never-built
>WBSO Clinton was deleted, the NB station was designed  in expectation of the
>sort of interference WRPT would provide. But when WBSO was deleted, so was
>the notification to Canada, with the result that the unbuilt station now
>must be protected to a very low field-strength contour.

        Do I have it right, then, that WRPT is limited to daytime only
because of nonexistent stations in Canada that will never be built? It's
far enough from WSM to get some kind of low all-night power. A station
with, I think, 1 kW nights on 1030 was operating in Memphis, for example,
although the last I heard it was silent. Louisville is closer than
Nashville, but WRYM on 840 in New Britain now has 125 watts night. Also,
wouldn't the Canadian ghost station have to be protected, as a Class B
station, only to a sort of modest contour (is it 2.0?) and, in any event,
only to its national border if whatever the contour is went beyond its
border? Or are the interference issues different than what's in the U.S.
rules for domestic stations?