Re: FCC (was: Re: clear channel buys amfm)

>Garrett wrote--
>I would say his LPFM proposal is quite an indication of how he feels on
>the subject
>and quite a revolutionary move for a commissioner. From what I have
>understood from
>FCC employees is that he is the driving force behind that proposal and the
>reason
>it has been taken seriously. I myself don't agree with it but I think it
>gives some
>indication on where he stands when it comes to consolidation.

Mr Kennard, with whom I have spoken several times, feels very ambivalent
about LPFM-- he knows it is no magic answer, but he feels he must do
something to return diversity and local programming to radio.  I don't
think the LPFM proposal has a chance, however-- the NAB is determined to
prevent it (that sound you hear is the late great John Shepard 3rd spinning
in his grave-- he was one of the founders of the NAB, which in its
formative years, stood up very strongly for the "little guy" and for the
local and/or small market  programmer.  Now, it seems everything is about a
small elite controlling massive amounts of stations, and the NAB doesn't do
much advocating for the "little guy".  Further, various politicians (mostly
Republicans-- sorry Dan B.) have told Mr Kennard that if he persists in
advocating for a weakening of the Telecom Act of 1996, they will vote to
disband the FCC.  This could all become a very interesting power struggle...