Re: EAS(y)...not...

How is anyone supposed to hear those tones or even distinguish them from
station id/commercial sfx? I thought the whole idea of
the tones was to stir people from their usual state of unconciousness and
pay attention for news and info in case of some emergency?  The first time
I heard those new EAS tones I thought there was something wrong with the
network hookup at the station I was tuning in.  There was no announcement
afterwards, just a few seconds (which in radio seem like an eternity) of
dead air.

Who was the brainiac behind this?

- --
Sven F. Weil