Re: EAS(y)...not...

Could it be that there's only one EAS decoder at Morrissey Blvd located way
downstream in the audio path that seizes control of all 5 stations.  It
would make more sense than five separate ones doing their own thing.  Since
the stations all share the same Audio Vault it would be a likely scenario.

My only complaint was that the talk format came back on after the test.  I
found the tones to be more relaxing.

Just my opinion.

Brian

At 05:57 PM 9/7/99 -0400, Jason Roberts wrote:
>EAS is designed to work automatically if there is no operator
>intervention. What you heard was the system working as it should... but
>the station personnel obviously not.
>
>The required monthly test came in today. Just as with EBS, stations are
>required to rebroadcast this test, to keep the connections in the chain.
>The difference is that while EBS required us to do the work, with EAS
>the decoder will do it automatically. Because of this, many stations
>have become very lax in making sure ops know what to do.
>
>When the required monthly test or an EAS activation comes over it is
>buffered and held for rebroadcast. Operators have the option (or
>should!) of deleting it, forwarding it, or doing nothing. If they do
>nothing, the decoder will forward it after a pre-set time limit has
>expired. Since the decoder is downstream from the studio, it cuts off
>all other audio and takes control. This is likely what happened to all
>of the stations with the poorly timed tests.
>
>On the other hand, the stations that handled the test properly paused
>programming, dropped in the test, and resumed broadcasting.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jason Roberts
>Operations Manager
>WPLM, Easy 99.1

Brian Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St.
Peabody, MA  01960-5626  USA
Sales & Service ->(800)231-8849 US & Canada
Sales & Service Fax ->(800)329-2775
Business Office -> (978)538-7575
Business Fax -> (978)538-7550

***Visit Our Web Site at www.cssinc.com***
Check out our new online webstore for cinema supplies!
CSS, Inc. is a proud member of ITEA & NSCA