Re: WSJZ Smooth Jazz

At 10:59 AM 9/7/99 -0400, laurence@sprintmail.com wrote:
>MovieMan:
>
> > 1.  Although I did not write the press release, I was one of the
> > collaborators on it.  It is therefore safe to say that the opinions
> > contained therein are in line with my own.
>
>Whoever you are.

One of the 10 listeners.

> > 7.  Peter Smythe and Don Kelley were instrumental in the purchase
> > and flip of WCDJ to country WBOS earlier in this decade.  This cost
> > Greater Media millions.
>
>Your credibility is slipping with this statement.  WBOS is at 92.9,
>and came to Greater Media through a station swap with
>CBS/Infinity.

The WBOS reference was a typo.  I meant to say WBCS.  Granum started
WOAZ.  They were bought by Infinity.  Infinity swapped WBOS/WOAZ to Greater
Media.  Greater Media switched the frequencies of the country station and
the NAC station and changed the NAC stations calls and positioner.  While
this gave better coverage it did confuse listeners briefly.

>By the way, Peter Smyth has no "e" at the end of his name.

Duly noted.  My mistake.

> > 8.  It has been stated repeated in this group that Smooth Jazz has
> > failed twice in Boston.  It should be noted that both Smooth Jazz
> > stations began the format under different ownership and were
> > acquired by Greater Media after they had started the format.
> > Management at GM is very concerned that the SJ audience skews their
> > Magic audience.
>
>That is simply not true.  Magic's ratings have been consistently
>number one for 15 books in a row.

This is not a dispute.  There was a concern that certain dayparts of WSJZ,
for example the night time show with Jesse Sandidge might have be construed
to have an audience that might otherwise be listening to David Allen Boucher.

>Magic has promoted the Jazz
>format on the air, a most unusual practice even in these days of
>group ownership.

I don't recall Magic running ads for WOAZ or WSJZ.  If I missed them, I
stand corrected.  The only thing that I recall is Magic running ads for
their Sunday morning brunch which does put them in competition with their
sister.