Re: most influential?

Bump Martin wrote:

> >it was written--
> >
> >>James Coppersmith (is that the name of the CVB former GM?)
> >He was  the GM of the old channel 7 during the early to mid 70s, as I
> >recall, and in 1982 was hired by channel 5.
>
> He was responsible for "finding our new anchor in a hotel room in
> Denver(?)..." for Channel 7(WNAC).
>
> Does anyone remember that promotion?

Yes.

Another news-related promotion was a teaser announcing the rumored arrival
of  7's new anchor, a guy named Ted from Minneapolis and they showed a clip
of Ted Baxter from MTM. (For the life of me I can't remember the real Ted's
last name... He's still around: on Channel 2 for all of the fund raising
events; had a radio talk show on RKO several years ago.)

> I lived out in the boonies, so I wasn't reading the Boston papers at the
> time...but, as I understand it....the papers skewered Channel 7 for that
> transparent effort.

Imagine, using cheap thrills and innuendo to sell TV news!  :-)

> (Apparently this anchor was graced with good looks...but little else.)

> Does anyone remember his name?

> (Was it Jay Scott?)

Yes it was.

I actually saw him interviewed on a "Where are they now" type feature a
couple of years back. If I remember correctly, the whole Boston gig sort of
embarrassed him. He was young, maybe 23 or 24, at the time and was hired for
his looks.  At the time of this interview, he was still in TV news and he
had been in his then current position for several years AND he was not using
the name Jay Scott.

Tony Abruzzese