Re: Expanded expanded band station

So far, two ex-band stations, of which WWRU is one, have
been granted 10 kW-D/9 kW-N DA-N. The other one is in
CA, but I don't recall which station it is. I gather
that there is some legal "magic" associated with 9 kW
(otherwise, why wouldn't it be 10 kW?). Maybe the Rio
treaty signatories accept that 9 is simply a large value
of 1 whereas 10 is not :-)

In fact there _are_ precedents in broadcast regulation
for such bizarre logic. NARBA specified that Class I-A
stations had to operate with 50 kW-U. In fact, though,
Mexico allowed most of its I-As to run 150 kW-U and
several ran even higher power. Mexico simply interpreted
the treaty language to mean _at least_ 50 kW. Maybe when
you translate the English "shall be" into Spanish, it
comes out "shall be at least."