in the darkness of the Maine seacoast

Late Sunday night I was returning from Portland via old Rte 1, I mean why
bother with the Turnpike if the York tolls are backed up to Old Orchard.....

So I m playing with the trusty car radio and hit the 740 button by
accident...and was floored when I heard KCBS news time 7:52

It was a solid signal, with some splatter from CKAC, but this is the first
time I ever caught a westcoast station, though with no CBL to fight
with......

Before that my best catch was KOA in Denver on 850 when the old WHDH was off
in the early AM......

Other observations from that 3 hour jaunt....
strangely WODS was winning over the Maine 103.3 at Tim Horton's donuts in
South Portland....
10 miles south of Portland, if you want to listen to the Red Sox, you have
to use WTIC in Hartford....that is a major hole in the Sox network.
Why can't WYNZ spring for a decent line from Hadlock Field....a cell phone
would sound better than what they use.

Overall it is sad to hear the state of Portland radio today.... was it
really only 10 odd years ago that stations like WMGX or WWGT had a "big
city" feel to them?