WNNW, WBPS and 99.9 Pirate gone

A few observations from my perch here about 30 miles
North of Boston:
(1)  For the past month, WNNW  1110 AM licensed to
Salem, NH has been on the air 24 hours a day.  It
broadcasts programming from 6:00 am to about 9:00 pm
(altho sign-off/power-down/pattern-change time is now
7:45 pm)...then it broadcasts an unmodulated carrier
seemingly at full power (5 KW DA) overnight till it
starts again the next morning.  I live close enough
(actually a bike ride away) from the transmitter so
it obliterates WBT.  Driving home late last weekend,
I tuned to 1110 and WBT was subject to shortwave-like
interference from WNNW's carrier as far south on 93
as Woburn.  Is this legal?  Isn't it an expensive
waste of electricity?
(2)A few weeks ago, as I was listening to WMVY 900 am
in Nashua, I was aware of adjacent frequency splatter
all of a sudden.  I turned the rotary dial on my table
radio and WBPS 890 in Dedham was almost as strong as
the much nearer WMVU.  Did Mega just spend a few bucks
to upgrade the signal to its historically authorized
level?  What about folks living in Lowell/Tyngsboro/
Chelmsford...does the pattern protect 'MVU a little to
the NW of where I live or is WSMN 1590 now doing a
better job due South of Nashua?
(3)  The 99.9 pirate in Lawrence is gone for now.  I
don't know if the Feds stepped in and shut them down
or it's just technical trouble.  I'm getting that
(awful) FM at 100.1 that used to be in Southbridge
now closer to Worcester.  No commercials, no call
letters, no promotions...but I can't listen long; it's
PEWTRID!

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com