Re: Manchester oldies

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Tony Abruzzese wrote:

(re: Clark Smidt)

> Clark was one of two voices on WBZ-FM, the pre-Magic 106.7, the other being
> Captain Ken (Shelton) circa 1972-74.

> Wasn't he also at WCOZ "Ninety-four and a half FM" around 1980 (pre-WZOU)?

He launched the first rock version of WCOZ, I believe in 1975. Afterwards
he invented the "Soft Rock" format on WEZE (AM 1260), which he afterwards
moved to WEEI-FM ("Joni - without the baloney!").

In the summer of 1982 he started on WBOS what may have been the first
adult album alternative (AAA) format in America; it didn't fare very well,
lasting only about six months, but that may have been because Clark's idea
was too far ahead of its time.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com