WGOD

On LTAR today, Bob answered my question about whether there was a station
called WGOD or KGOD.  He remarked that at one time, that would have been
considered in bad taste and a station would not have asked for those call
letters.

I wonder whether, in times past, the FCC might have refused to issue the
call letters.  The reason I asked the question was because I vaguely
remembered reading, back in the 1950s or early 60s, of a station that
emphasized religious programs which asked for WGOD and the FCC refused.
This may have been apocryphal, but I suspect that the FCC might have been
refusing call letters in those days that it considered in bad taste.  I
suspect they wouldn't have issued calls such as WFUK or even KRAP in those
days, though I suspect they would now.

Come to think of it, a cousin who taught school back then once told me
that there was another teacher whose name was Mr. Krapp.  The kids must
have loved that one!

Hmmm.  Is there a WFUK or a KRAP these days?

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/