Re: 1957

On 18 Jun 99,  Joseph Gallant wrote:

> Besides all the other "changes" in local broadcasting that year, wasn't
> 1957.....
>
> (1)...the year WBOS-AM began "Music Theatre" in AM and PM drive (and, if
> the FM was already on the air, on an around-the-clock basis)?

Probably.  But the FM didn't come on until about 1960, at which time Music
Theatre went on all day on AM, left for ethnic programs from 6 or 7 until
10, and then returned at 10 until around 1 AM sign off.  The FM continued
Music Theatre during the times the AM broke away for the ethnic
programming.

It occurs to me that with the leased-time ethnic programming which began
in the late 50s at least on 1600, this may be one of the longest stretches
in Boston of the same format on the same station, exceeded, so far as I
can tell, only by WCRB.

> (2)...the year WBZ-FM returned to the air, this time at 106.7?

I think so.  The radio listings in the newspapers didn't mention WBZ-FM
until sometime in 1957, after I was back in the area.  I remember noticing
that the listings in the Traveler didn't include an FM frequency for WBZ.
And I remember my father mentioning that WBZ had started an FM station.
But others around here seem to think it started in 1956, with the
construction of the new TV tower in Needham.

> (3)...the year Channel 5 (under it's original owner) first signed-on the
> air, giving ABC-TV a primary affiliate in Boston for the first time?

Yes.

> (4)...and the year Harvard's WHRB graduated from carrier-current to FM
> (originally for a short time at 107.1 until interference with WBZ-FM
> forced WHRB down the dial to 95.3)?

That I don't know.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/