Re: Boston Radio 1957 (was Network Affiliations)

At 01:07 AM 6/17/99 -0400, you wrote:

>By the way, mention was given by the Christian Science Monitor's radio
>writer to a "new feminine personality" doing weather on WILD in late 1957.
>Any idea who that might have been?

Bartell had apparently had great success with female voices at WOKY
Milwaukee and was determined to make such voices a part of the signature
Bartell sound. I believe that the women were anonymous, however, or at best,
used only first names. The original promos for WILD, which never explicitly
mentioned that they were for a radio station, ran on several _other_ Boston
stations for a few days before WBMS became WILD. The very cryptic promos
featured sultry female voices, almost in a whisper. The copy read something
like "Everyone in _old_ Boston is going WILD|WILD|WILD|WILD." There was no
discernible pause between the iterations of the word "WILD", suggesting that
the tape had been edited to remove the natural pauses.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205