Re:WNAC WEZE/WTAG (fwd)

One thing I am still not clear on....how did WLAW pull off getting the 50K
signal being based in Lawrence. Looking at this 50 years later, it looked
like the fix was in.

(BTW was WLAW by chance a Yankee Network affilate back then???)

The 1947 date is important IMHO, because of what would happen the following
year in regards to WNAC and WBZ. I have to assume that WBZ, WHDH, and WNAC
fought hard battles to win the rights to 4 and 7. What I am unclear on is,
what was the thinking back then.

I assume WBZ was then, as today the big cheese, and was given the blessing
of "The General" to get NBC-TV on the air here. CBS made no effort to get a
TV license here as they were sure that their color standard would make NTSC
obsolete. They lagged with TV O&O's for years....WHDH had their TV studios
planned in the late 40's..but we know what happened with them. Did CBS throw
their clout to WNAC to help them win Channel 7???

Also....(Donna sleep on this)... was the Yankee Network better off with a
weaker station in Boston, in the sense that being an affliate had more value
since the main station could not be heard 30 miles from Boston. You see this
concept to this day with the Red Sox, as since the flagship station can not
be heard in many parts of New England, being on the network is more
valuable. The Bruins network fell apart when WBZ took over the team twice in
the last 30 years.