Interesting Radio Depatures

My three radio firings were all pretty uninteresting.  When I was fired from
my job as morning show producer at WGAN in 1993 and when I was fired from the
afternoon news position at WKCG in 1994, both positions were being eliminated
as part of economic cut backs.  In both cases my supervisors handled it as
well as they could, but losing two jobs in six months was enough to convince
me that I should find a job outside of radio.  That's what I did and I
haven't worked full time in radio since.

Brain Phoenix woke me up with a phone call at 7:30 AM and fired me from my
weekend job at WCLZ in 1997 over the phone which I thought was not a very
professional way to handle it.  (Here's an idea for a subject: bad bosses.
It would be interesting but someone would probably get sued.)

When I resigned from WIDE in 1988, they apparently didn't like the tone of my
resignation letter.  When I tuned into the station on my way in Chuck Igo was
on the air and he said the midday guy would be doing afternoons that day,
which was my shift.  I picked up my belongings at the station (they actually
wrote me my last check that day and paid me through the end of the week) and
stopped in at WPOR where I was doing a weekend shift at the time to tell Tom
Hennessey that I would be available to do any shifts he needed filled.  Tom
said he was really busy that day so I could do his shift.  I found it
humorous that I left my home that day thinking that I would be doing
afternoon drive at one station and ended up doing afternoon drive at a
different station that same day.  The story has a happy ending as just three
weeks later I got the afternoon job at WCLZ making $50 per week more than I
was making at WIDE.

Most of my departures from radio stations have been entirely voluntary and I
have made a habit of breaking format at the end of my last shift and playing
Jimmy Buffett's "Why Don't We Get Drunk" (and screw).  I know it's
unprofessional but I've done it several times going back to WAYU in 1986 so
it's become sort of a tradition.  I continued the tradition when ended my
last show at WMGX with Buffett last weekend.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine
Former Radio Guy, enjoying my first weekend off in a long time