Re: Market Research

David Merrill wrote:

> What is amazing to me also is that a song that was not originally a radio
> hit gets played NOW more than ever.  Case in point "Solsbury Hill" by Peter
> Gabriel and "Melt With You" by Modern English.  I believe they appeal high
> to the female demos, but I still don't get why they have found a life later
> on in their shelf lives.

Although the songs you mentioned were not big top 40 "hits" per-se, they WERE
and still ARE familiar to the target audiences they're aimed at.  AOR stations
played the Gabriel cut, and college and alternative stations of the day played
Modern English.  Many people were in high school and college when they were
exposed to this music back in the 80's from a variety of sources such as movie
soundtracks, college parties, rock and college radio.  These songs have more
meaning to this audience than some of the CHR material of the period such as,
oh, Who's Johnny from El Debarge.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks