A note on Star 93.7

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Over the last couple of days, there has been much speculation regarding
the outcome of Boston's newest radio station.  I just wanted to make a
couple of points in favor of the madness that has been occurring at
Entercom.

Yes, some of us radio geeks have noticed that Star currently has a very
tight, repetitive music rotation.  Remember, only 4 days ago, 93.7 was
known as Boston's 2nd 70's Rocker (with a touch of the 80's).  Thus far,
I think they've made it pretty clear that 'the Eagle has crashed' and
the 'Rhythm of Boston' is here to stay for a while.

Remember: this station is still defining it's image and testing its
format.  This alone can account for the variety of what we are hearing,
as well as some of the repetitiveness. And what about the jukebox
thing??

Bottom Line- like it or hate it- the format IS going to work.  No other
station in Boston (nor am I aware of any other in the country, except
for maybe 'KTU) is touching this music--- music we thought was only
destined to be on CD compilations for the rest of our lives!

When they kicked it off with the Gap Band that Thursday afternoon, I was
like " it's about freakin' time!!! ".  If the music makes you feel good
in clubs today- or 20 years ago- why wouldn't it work on the radio?  So
unique!!  The music is upbeat, uplifting, and brings back a ton of
memories (especially for FEMALES!!! )  There was a major music hole in
Boston radio, and this may be the best way to fill it.

So, if any consultants are reading, here are my suggestions (or should I
say mere opinions) on fine tuning this beast  :-)

- - You can never have too much audio compression with this format--- make
it "in your face- 20 years later!! "  We've been blessed with the
technology to digitally remaster all of this great music- lett'em know
it- without the pops and scratches.

- - If the format's going to last, they do have to keep it very fresh.
Even a classic will burn if it's played more than 2 times in a day.  It
will be very tempting for them to play songs like "We Are Family" and
"Into the Groove" all of the time since these are examples of songs that
test very well.  But I'd really hate to hear these songs being played to
the point of just killing them- 20 years later.  It's going to take some
ironing out and continual research, but it will work.

- - The format must maintain a high familiarity in its programming.
Playing any of the lesser known disco or dance tracks could be
detrimental- at least in the beginning.

- -I don't like the idea of the station toying with the newer rhythmic
music at a lighter rotation.  If they're going to play some of the newer
club music, why not try all of it.  "Another Night" and "Get Ready For
This" are staples, but let's not end it there.  Give them more of the
cuts that are making it big as recurrents in the clubs.

IMHO, I think the station will be most marketable if it does go in the
'KTU direction- but with a finer blend of the classics we are currently
hearing in its fetal stage.  The format could be effectively dayparted
to accomplish this.  Just remember though, Ace of Base, MC Hammer and
the Backstreet Boyz aren't going to cut it.

- - Keep the jocks upbeat.  I wouldn't mind hearing Alex Stone or Stu Zoo
(what was his name??) back doing the Beantown thing.  If there is going
to be emphasis on 70's, 80's, and 90's rhythm music, bring back the
jocks who made and played THE HITS back when they were hits.

- -Finally, hit 'em with a kick ass morning show ( i don't see kevin and
pete staying, or coming back for that matter).  Why not bring back the
morning Zoo???

Just my 3 cents.

btw, I'm a new subscriber but actively read the archives.
Feel free to e-mail me personally.

- -Bill
Wild Productions