Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

>1988-1989 - WSSH
>
>The first WSSH-AM; this one, if memory serves, was an adult
>standards incarnation.  Maybe Bill O'Neill can fill in
>the gaps here -- but I think this happened not long after
>Noble bought WSSH-FM and moved it from WLLH in Lowell down to
>Woburn?

Let's peek through some cobwebs...  Around '87, Arnold Lerner moved
WSSH (99.5, Lowell) from (a broom closet in) 4 Broadway Lowell to 500
W. Cummings Park Woburn.  Months later, then sister WLLH (1400,
Lowell//Lawrence moved from 4 Broadway to Church Street Lowell. At
Church St., a WSSH news booth was strung together by telco line to
feed the Woburn studio.  Apparantly, this was on the eve of FCC
changes re: news and COL?  The pub. insp. file was also maintained in
Lowell.  (I think a Lowell number actually loops to the current 99.5
Boston studio, but I could be wrong there.)

Not sure on this sequence:  A:  Noble later buys WSSH, (exit Mike
Colby, enter Steve Gallagher PD) then 1510 gets the WSSH calls, the FM
becomes WSSH FM Lowell.  Local folklore has it that WLLH was getting
the WSSH calls, with sung jingles all in the can, bagged at the 11th
hour.  B:  So I suspect it may have been _Lerner_ who moved 1510
before selling WSSH FM.  (I'm not awake enough for this.)  Anyone?
....Beuller?....  To the right of the FM control/jock booth was a
vacant/unused studio that became the AM control in Woburn, and I do
believe it was bird AS at the outset.  Once the FM moved out, 1510 had
more room than it would ever need.

BTW, the Woburn studios may hold the record for having THEE longest
run from the jock booth to the er, comfort station and kitchen.   Not
many chances to be seeing Chapin, Taxi, or The Wreck of the Ed. Fitz.
coming up on the list....  (A 2-fer was getting it done AND grabbing a
coffee on the return trip AND still have beverage in the cup upon
reentry.  In 3:36.)

Bill O'Neill