Re: Microradio story

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> With all this talk about licensing low-power FMs, I would think that in
> a lot of places, there might be more band space for low-power AMs.
> The engineering details I leave to others, but it might give more people
> a reason to listen to the AM band.

I'm not an engineering guy, but from a bit of my own research into LPFM
and the current goings on with the FCC, the AM band is being considered,
but with all the AM'ers already on the air, there is some concern as to
how hundreds of new LPAM's would affect the AM band...

> OTOH, maybe not.  How many people bother to watch local-access
> cable TV?

Hey, hey, be kind to local access television.  While there are those
programs not worthy of the tape they are recorded on, there are some
quality programs coming out of access stations in MA and throughout the
country.  (I know...visions of Wayne's World are dancing through your
head right about now...)

Local access television fills a void left by major market television and
radio, by serving in the public's interest.  Anyone can do a show on
public access. You don't need millions of dollars to buy your own station,
or for that matter thousands of dollars for brokered time on some fringe
Boston station.  Access is free and despite the quality of programming on
some of the shows, it serves the public interest.  What a novel
idea...serving the public...isn't that what our licensed broadcasters are
supposed to do?

Getting off my soapbox now...

Marc Lemay
Volunteer Producer