Re: The dumbing down of the news

On 10 Feb 99,  SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Mis-pronunciation of names is one of those peeves of mine.  I can
> understand when it's some obscure foreigner with an unpronouncable name
> (and the wire services seem to assume we all know how to pronounce these
> names, 'cuz pronunciation guides are few & far between), but
> local/regional people/places there's no excuse.

When I used to do the news at WMUA, the UPI wire service used to
send periodic pronunciation guides.  And the pronunciation of foreign
names was often given in parentheses right in the story.  Do they no
longer do that?

I used to get annoyed at the late Don Harrison on CNN Headline
News, when he used to pronounce Kazakhstan "Kazakistan."  He also
once pronounced the Partie Quebecois with the last syllable rhyming
with "boys."

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/