Hour long 6PM newscast...

<<On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 03:11:17 EST, WhomFAN@aol.com said:

[Please wrap your lines at 72 characters!]

> Was scanning the dial and found that wcax-3 in Burlington, VT still
> has hour long 6 PM newscasts. I thought they all disappeared in the
> 80's. are there any other stations in the Northeast that do 6 PM
> newscasts

Well, stretching the definition of `the Northeast' a bit, but: CBMT 6
(and about a hundred rebroadcasters elsewhere in Quebec including
CBVE-TV channel 5) run the hour-long ``Newswatch at 6 with Dennis
Trudeau''.  At one time, CFCF 12's ``Pulse'' at 6 was also an hour
long, but my TV Hebdo is a bit far away right now to find out.

Note that unlike the US stations, there is no ``network'' early
newscast to run.  The local stations get a feed of national news from
their respective networks, and then are free to integrate that
material (or not) into their local newscasts on the basis of their own
news judgment (similar to what Fox does to support its affils' 10pm
casts).  Usually, except for the truly national stories, these network
reports are produced by the local stations and personnel in the
communities where the story takes place.  (When I was watching the CBC
regularly I got to know the names of most of their local news people
without actually having seen the local newscasts, by dint of their
network feeds.  If the story is from Vancouver, it's probably going to
be reported by Ian Hanamansingh....)

- -GAWollman

- --