Re: Article on WYAR

In a message dated 1/31/99 9:58:13 PM EST, steveord@xtdl.com writes:

<<
 Radio sounds the way it does today because it works.  Hokey small-market
 radio went away because it didn't.

I think Steve is right, here, even though Peter George has some great ideas.
Radio sounds the way it does these days because it works!  People DO want
sanitized smooth-operator sounds from radio.   I've mentioned over and over on
L.T.A.R. that WBZ has the correct formula for news and the sanitized, sterile
AC stations have theright formula for the average person out there.  The
average person doesn't want any depth in ANYthing.   About 15% of the people
want depth (in news: listen to NPR) ,  (for music,   non-commercial stations,
and I'd like to think WJIB-WJTO).
And for TV: the History Channel,  and others of the like.

The only people REALLY griping about diversity on radio is us on L.T.A.R.,
peopel who work in radio as non-owners,  and this and other similar
newsgroups.   That's a very small percentage of the population.

Donna keeps saying on L.T.A.R. that "listenership is down".  She attributes it
to lousy programming.  I solely attribute it to competition: internet, more
cable TV choices; busier lifestyles, etc.

It is human nature to like what is most familiar, and to tread on new music
very carefully.   That carries on to radio programming.

Still, with all that said, we're STILL and always will be, a nation of idiots.

- ---jibguy