Re: More on commercial breaks.

If memory serves, this was tried several years ago at Pirate Radio in LA, the
hard rock station programmed by Scott Shannon.  The station never ran more than
six to eight units per hour--2 four minute stop sets at most, while other LA
signals were running 10 to 12 minutes per hour.  Pirate Radio failed after an
initial "splash" so who knows if it worked.

Unfortunately, I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.  The industry
still is wary of the competition undercutting their rates, plus they want to
remain competitive with TV, cable and print on the streets.

I dealt with a short-sighted sales manager a few years back over spot loads.  He
wanted me to run 18-20 minutes of spots per hour, and I told him it sounded like
it was time to raise the rate card, since the on-air product would suffer.  His
response was, "Hey, I dont give a s*** how it sounds, I'm out to make a living."
Typical.....

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks