Re: WPLM

- ---Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> At 08:17 PM 1/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >Actually, it's a brand new 100,000watt station on 96.7FM
> >in Arlington,TX.
>
> OK, that _sort of_ explains it. I visited John Kodis' FM station
location
> page at www.radiostation.com and found two conflicting listings on
96.7, a
> little Class A (KNKI) licensed to Sherman (about 40 miles north of the
> "Metroplex") with 5.5 kW at 96m from a site just north of Sherman
(between
> Sherman and Dennison).

> No way such a puny signal could do much of anything
> in Dallas or Ft Worth. Then I searched for stations within 100 km of
KNKI on
> 96.7 and turned up KMEO, licensed to Flower Mound (or is that Flour
Mound?),
> with 100 kW at 620m. This is a full Class C signal with maximum
facilities.
> Maybe ABC has applied to change the COL to Arlington, which is is
midway
> between Dallas and Ft Worth. Regardless of the COL, however, the TX
appears
> to be a _mimimum_ of 55 miles from the Metroplex. If I recall, Kodis
says
> it's 90 km west of Sherman.

KMEO is licensed to Flower Mound but now resides with the other
ABC/Disney-owned powerhouses KSCS-FM(country) and KBAP(newstalk 820)
in a highrise office building in downtown Arlington. I am not sure if
former big-band KAAM-AM(Radio Disney) which ABC/Disney bought for $12
mill in July
has any kind of studio space in there.

> Clearly, this is a big-time move-in and I imagine that there are
stations
> licensed to Dallas, Ft Worth, or other nearby communities on 96.3
and 97.1.

Actually, top-rated sister station KSCS-FM is on 96.3. It sure sounds
like ABC/Disney is forming a nice cluster in the Metroplex.

> That means that this (admittedly huge) signal from over 50 miles
away must
> compete with much more local signals 400-kHz away on either side.
What did
> ABC pay for this facility and why do they believe that such a signal
can
> have much of an impact in the market's major population centers?

I am not sure what they paid for 96.7 but I believe former KNKI owners
had to pay some good coin to the owner of a 6,000-watt country KBOC 96.7
to make him move somewhere else on the dial. Apparently, the
guy didn't want to hear about it but when the right offer almost
doubled his
station's value, he signed on the dotted line.

- -M