Re: Duplication rules

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:16:25 -0500 "A. Joseph Ross"
<lawyer@world.std.com> writes:

>I have a book on the history of WQXR, which says that the exception for
>WQXR originated with a Washington, D.C. classical station.  Apparently
>some powerful Congressman was upset at the loss of his favorite
classical
>programming on AM.

Yes, classical operation WGMS in Washington was slated by their owner,
RKO/General to go Top 40 with consultant Bill Drake at the helm.  After
the format change flack erupted, RKO filed for as waiver under the
simulcast rule, and got it.  This opened the door for more waivers, and
WQXR filed for one, too.

Rick Kelly

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.