Re: Duplication rules

>  Today, while many AMs duplicate a station's FM signal, many
> more of them developed and successfully use different programming on the AM
> side.  Today, it's not only a matter of creativity, but it's a matter of
> jobs.

As you just said, many operators are developing programming for their AM sisters
these days.  Automation and syndication has progressed to the point that putting
different programming on a "dog" frequency has become inexpensive and gives the
owner an extra format to pitch to advertisers.  Most simulcasting today is done
to increase the coverage area of weak signals, like WWKX and WAKX in Rhode
Island for example.  Stations like WKPE-Orleans have gotten to the point that
it's cheaper to donate a really bad AM signal than continue to duplicate FM
programming on it.  I don't think that with more and more AM's developing their
own programming, automated or not, that there is a need to regulate simulcasting
rules.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks