Re: Predictions for 1999

> First, 1200 tried local, by having Gene Burns do local talk via ISDN from San
> Francisco and while it was welcome it really didn't do much in the ratings or
> in rippling any listeners from WRKO. Of course, WKOX did virtually zero media
> or advertising and really didn't try too hard in the talk format, IMO.

Agreed.  If KOX had promoted the fact they had Burns more aggresively and gave him
some decent programming around his show, 1200 could have been more of a player.

> At the same time, depending one what mix of satellite or local they would do,
> there is a desire for some competition in this town. Whoever decides to do
> that will have to do some serious PR to get the word out there that there is
> some competition and not sit on the idea like WKOX did the last time, if
> anyone will even care in the non-radio industry world. I think there would be
> a lot of interest since WRKO has fallen in sales and listenership, and let's
> be honest, quality.

With a new owner, an improved signal, and some promotion, WKOX can definitly make
a dent into RKO, but an all-syndicated line-up of B level talkers won't do much
damage, if any at all.  I don't think WRKO is as messed up as some people on this
list think.  The ratings are still respectable, particularly when you note that
many talk stations around the country are having a really tough go of it.  (Look
at WABC for example.) Some competition is needed, but what I'd like to see is some
localized political talk, since Howie is doing syndicated fluff topics and Brudnoy
has been on sporaticallyas of late.  More blowhard conservatives via syndication
is not what Boston needs, IMHO.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks