Re: WQEW (was Re: Popular Standards in NYC)

In a message dated 12/4/98 3:30:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, billo@erols.com
writes:

<< Now, as for The New York Times, they have really "SCROOGED" this one up.
Add another lump of coal in their stockings. >>

I can certainly understand that fans of WQEW and Popular Standards would be
upset by the format change, but I have to state some obvious points:

1.  The bottom line of a commercial radio station is to make money, not
protect popular culture.  Some fans of the station admit that they heard few
commercials on the station.  Also, it is well known that most advertisers
today are not interested in a station that has primarily older demographics.
(I am not saying that this is a correct practice.  That has been debated at
length here.  I am just stating a fact about today's advertising marktet.)
2.  The audience for the format is less and less each year.  Today's 60 year
old graduated from high school in 1956 and likely came of age with early rock-
and-roll, not American popular standards.  In the next few years, I would
expect that stations that are trying to serve the older demographics will be
playing primarily late 1950's and early 1960's pop.  The music of the 1940's
and early 1950's will fade from commercial radio, just like the music of the
1930's already has.  I know some younger people enjoy Popular Standards, but
apparently not enough to support a commercial radio stations.
3.  I see Radio Disney as a good thing for AM radio.  Imagine a new generation
Americans who's favorite radio station as child was an AM station!  Unlike
most in my age group, they will actually realize that AM exists.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine