TALKIN' UP TUNES

><< Shel wrote:
> > How can one pace one's talk-up without music behind it?
>
> Simple.  Any well-designed, clearly-thought-out automation program
> provides (in the earphones) playback of the music to be "talked-up"

Yeah, while I *don't* prefer this type of 'virtual radio'....the
development of more powerful computers has brought about development of
some really fascinating automation equipment.

In some of the systems of today....you can record a whole show in 45
minutes....and YES, hear the music too!

The 'machine' will bring you to the final 10 seconds of an element...say
, a song....and you would start you break *hearing* the song end....just
like when you are on the air.  When you hit the commercials....you can
hear the first 10 seconds of the spot!

It brings you to the points in the show where you want to insert your
gab....and then gives you a 'running start'....

It's very easy for the computer to 'cue-up' to the spot in the time-line
when you want to speak....and play back the audio at that point....music
, spots in the case of a tag...or in the case of going into a stop-set..
..the song ending.

Remember most of the newer automation systems are fed by harddrive...not
by carts and reels.  Thereby allowing one to 'jump around' the sequence
with great ease.

This phenomenon seems to have taken root in the medium markets.  Most of
the major-markets have been slow to totally embrace this technology.
(And it appears too expensive for most small markets stations.)

- --
 Dave in Boston

(For E-mail, mailto:David_Boucher@Prodigy.com?subject=fromEMCsig )