Re: Bruce Bradley

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Indeed, WBZ sounded very lost for many years after they dumped the Top 40,
> segueing from an almost-rock song to the Mills Brothers.  I have a tape of
> someone, Robin Young, I think doing overnites in the mid-ish 70s, and have
> no clue what they were trying to do in that daypart....the music mix made
> no sense at all.  However, it was WBZ that took the biggest hit from
> WRKO...WMEX, despite the lousy signal was hip and young-sounding, while
> WBZ, even though they were a bit more progressive musically, had sort of
> AC-ish sounding jocks. Somewhere I saw a printout of the summer '67 book,
> and WRKO came out on top (of the 3 Top 40s), followed by WMEX and WBZ
> dragging up the rear.  It was shortly after this book that 'BZ started
> moving away from rock.

WBZ also was a bit more conservative about what they allowed on the air.
I remember a song, I think it was by Paul Simon, that began "When I think
back on all the crap I learned in high school, ..."  WMEX played the song
that way, but WBZ altered it.  This was circa 1972, I think.

> Probably not, but we're talking very different eras...audienceds are much
> more fragmented and with music having moved to FM, you're limited to what
> is within a 50 mile or so radius...no FM has the influence of the old AM
> clear-channel blowtorches.

There is an advantage to the those long-range signals.  I used to be able
to listen to WBZ all the time that I was at UMass.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/