Re: Northern New York radio observations

At 12:17 AM 11/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:04 PM 11/22/98 -0800, Bob Nelson wrote:
>
>>There are probably more than a few stations run by
>>Native Americans in the US-- I remember seeing some
>>sort of TV news bit about such a station in the
>>Dakotas.
>
>Back in the mid-80s on a cross-country trip I airchecked a stationed
>licensed to the Rosebud Reservation in either Nebraska or S. Dakota.  Was
>kind of an odd hybrid of Top 40 and Native American music.  It seemed to be
>a noncom...at least their spot load was zero when I heard them.

What about KTNN, Window Rock AZ 660 kHz 50 kW DA-N (two towers). KTNN is one
of the finest AM facilities in the U.S. except for the fact that the
population density near the station is nearly zero. I believe that KTNN is
located on a reservation and is owned by Native Americans (who probably call
themselves Indians). Did you see the movie "Smoke Signals"? The movie, which
was outstanding, was written, produced, and acted by Native Americans who
never once referred to themselves by that term; they always called
themselves Indians.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205