Re: WMBR and stereo (was Re: WHIL/WWEL)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Shawn Mamros wrote:

> I keep wondering whether the MIT students that first built the Walker
> Memorial studios, including the broadcast consoles, knew that FM stereo
> would soon be coming into being or not.  After all, the FCC authorized
> FM stereo in the same year that WTBS-FM signed on, and WCRB at least was
> using it by the end of the year.  The consoles had two mono channels and
> a cue channel - in theory, at least, one could've combined both mono
> channels into a stereo channel.  For a while after we went stereo, we
> actually did try to use one of the old boards on an occasional basis.
> Doing a stereo show was possible, but extremely awkward, and most people
> of course preferred the brand-new board with the built-in stereo faders.

Actually, I remember the WMUA equipment of that vintage (new in 1963)
being used in a similar fashion to broadcast a program in stereo.  But
since we weren't equipped for FM stereo, they did stereo by putting one
channel on the AM carrier-current system and the other channel on FM.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/