At 03:37 PM 11/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Interesting on many multi-tower
>>arrays...especially in-line arrays,
>>the two end towers, and sometimes
>>middle towers are all that's ever
>>lit.  I've seen a 5 tower array that
>>way and it was: X.X.X   (X being
>>towers lit, "." being unlit towers).
>
>WCAP Lowell's "L" shaped array of 4 towers calls for 3 to be lit.  The one
>in the center of the long span of the "L" is dark.  At 256 AGL, if a pilot
>wanted to take the Cessna between the uprights, well, it would be a
>bulletiin at once.  (Dan S., what fancy two dollar expression is there for
>an L pattern?  Curious.)

If all four towers were used at one time, it would be called a dog-leg array
(a really fancy technical term whose derivation eludes me :-). However, WCAP
uses the three in-line towers at night and one of those three plus the one
that's not in line during the day, so I don't know the correct technical
term (simulated dog-leg array?).

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205