Patriots' radio rights (Was RE: We Interrupt This Impeachment Hearing To Bring You A Press Conference!)

>Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
>So does that also make it the WHCN Patriots Rock Radio Network?

        If the deal really goes through, who gets the radio rights will be
interesting. Unless Kraft will consider only an FM station, I'd figure WTIC
(AM) would go all-out to try to get it. There really is no other AM that
would even be a reasonable possibility, except I suppose WDRC with its
three repeaters now providing signal coverage of the market that is sort of
competitive with WTIC. But that seems very much a long shot.
        In addition to WTIC (AM), the CBS group also includes WZMX,
formerly '70s format now doing classic hits-classic rock with its recent
format shift. WZMX had the Patriots on at least one season a few years ago
but did not continue. Then there's WTIC-FM, which the programmers here
might want to do if they could because that at least would ID the call
letters with sports, which is one of the AM station's most important
elements. It would at least get the Patriots in the house, so to speak, and
they might be better positioned to try to do some related programming on
the AM. There's also WRCH-FM, but that doesn't seem like a likely place for
the Patriots. The modern rock, WMRQ, is Capstar, as is WHCN. So it should
be interesting.
        Meanwhile, a couple weeks ago there was notice paid here when
Channel 3 showed the Giants instead of the Patriots -- reflecting, many
people think, the real majority of fans around here. I guess that would
finally change if this move goes through.