Re: AM non-stereo

At 11:41 AM 11/17/98 -0800, you wrote:

>	Also, office betting-pool opportunity: Will WJLT "remember" to turn
>down to its critical hours power of 22 kW when it starts running 40
>kW. Or will it catch the WILD disease? Inquiring minds are standing by
>. . .
I'm still betting that WJLT NEVER gets a license for 40 kW. By my
calculations, they can't go over 26.5 kW during non-critical hours. Someone
at Wes... err CB... err Infinity seems to be asleep at the switch. (I wrote
to 'BZ's CE, Mark Manuelian, but he never replied.) When the old WGTR held
its CP for full-time from the Sewell St site in Ashland (now the WBPS site),
I saw the proposed patterns. The day pattern was slightly nulled to the east
(to 1330 mV/m unattenuated at 1 mile) over a broad arc to avoid overlap of
25 mV/m contours with WBZ. I was told that the 25 mV/m contours would be no
more than a few hundred feet apart at their closest point--in Wellesley. (An
earlier proposal had placed the TX on Southville Rd on Southboro or
Westboro, which was far enough west that the null to the east would probably
have been unnecessary. After the abuttors protested, the town nixed that
site, however. But John H Garabedian, who then owned WGTR, may still own the
Southville Rd property and may have built his house--and private air
strip--there!)

When WJLT's orignal application was reduced from 50 kW to 40 kW, I thought
that the FCC had forced WJLT to reduce power for this very reason. At that
time, WJLT was proposing 240-ft towers, which are way less efficient than
the 198-degree (electrical height; they're top loaded) towers that WJLT will
now be using. To get the same signal from the taller towers, you need only
26.5 kW. Moreover, the Sewell St site and the Mt Wayte Ave site that WJLT is
now proposing are almost on a north-south line, suggesting that whatever
signal strength would have been permissible from Sewell St also applies at
Mt Wayte.

Since the signal will be quite strong where I live regardless of whether the
power is 22 kW, 26.5 kW or 40 kW, I won't be able to tell the power by
listening. The only way I'll find out what power they wind up using will be
to watch the FCC actions and M Street Journal.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205