Re: WLNG-FM (was WCBS-FM 101.1..)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:28:57 -0500 (EST) Garrett Wollman
<wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes regarding WLNG:

>Sounds like you've missed the point.
>
>What radio geeks like about WLNG is that it's a time capsule.

Well, that's fine, but any station with the formatics as I described them
would undoubtedly do poorly in a competitive situation.

Mr. Wollman went on:

>WLNG is in fact commercially quite successful; ISTR it's the number-one
or
>number-two biller in the eastern Suffolk (Riverhead) market.  Clearly
>people Riverhead and Sag Harbor /do/ listen (despite whether you think
>they can or not), or else they would not be selling the amount of
>advertising they are.

Not necessarily so.  Many radio stations have great billing figures and
zero audience.  If you have a good sales force, they can sell anything.
This has been proven time and time again.  In small markets, it's still
possible.  The trick is to run a decent sounding station AND have a great
sales force.  You can make some money.

Rick Kelly

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]