RE: [neradio] Appropriate last songs (was Re: Fw: ...But RKO rolled me....)

From:	owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org] On Behalf Of Scott
Levison

Labor Day Weekend, 1984. Just before 3 p.m on the Friday of that weekend,
WCOZ signs off with "Go Now," by The Moody Blues. WZOU then signs on with
the "Hot Hits" jingle (I wanted to die...I thought Mike Josephs had now
invaded Boston) and goes right into "She-Bop" by Cyndi Lauper.

I think it was "Start me up" by the Rolling Stones, I remember it was 3PM on
a Friday..."Hot Hits...From the Zoo".

I also remember Jul 14 1983, when WBOS went country, "Rocket" Bob Slaven
ended the short-lived "modern rock" format with Lou Reed "Rock n Roll
Station" (Or what ever the title of that song was), and the first "country"
song was "Ghost Riders in the Sky", not exactly country, but their poor
attempt at a transition song...

Then, in April of 1989 when WBOS went back to "Rock" (such that is was), the
last country some was Johnny Paycheck "Take this Job and Shove It" played
continuously for the last hour of the format, then at 3PM, the new WBOS
started with "Here comes the Sun".

Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH