Re: Fw: Talent Mood

- -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

writes:

> >Has there ever been a time when radio jobs were not uncertain?

Has there ever been a time worse than now?

Competition is at an all time low.  At one time, if you were "let go" (i
.e. 'fired') from station A....there were a few competing
stations/formats (station B, C & D) that you could knock on their door.
Now, with the format exclusivity that has developed in most markets....
There is no competing format(s)....or very few...

Also, with group consolidation.....the company that 'fired' you....
probably owns a quarter of *all* the stations in the market....  It's
easy to get 'blackballed'....

News programming, employment and standards on radio is at an all-time
low.

It's always been unstable....but a lot of the opportunities to 'recover'
are gone.

On the other hand....Yes, there IS an upside to the recent consolidation
....  Stations themselves are much more stable.  With format exclusivity
that exists today....there is much less 'format-changing'....And there
is less of a panic situation where stations are worried about competing
formats....

Seems people who DO keep their jobs.....are keeping them longer....no?