Re: Tight Play Lists

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 00:46:37 -0500 (EST) "'A. Joseph Ross'"
<lawyer@world.std.com> writes:

>They seem to get fixated on certain things and play them to death.  A
few years >ago, they kept playing the first movement of Beethoven's 8th
symphony.

Many stations use a procedure called "platooning" where a core of music
will be played to death, and then put to rest for a while, with another
platoon of music brought in.  Perhaps this is the concept that WCRB uses.

>I've found that WCRB has a greater tendency to play
>music that I like to listen to.  Often, when I turn to other stations,
they
>are playing something I don't like.  This is especially true with WHRB,
>for some reason.  I'm somewhat limited by reception -- I can't get WGBH
or
>WBOQ in my office, and I can't usually listen to WBOQ in my car.  But
>when I check the stations out while driving, I more often settle on WCRB

>than on the others, even counting the fact that WGBH and WHRB aren't
always
>playing classical music.

Well then, it could be that WCRB's music research is paying off.  I'd be
willing to bet that WHRB and WGBH don't do research.

Rick Kelly

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]